Student Life
Quick Links

Home » Student Life » Student Housing

Student Housing

Berkeley graduate students have a variety of housing options available to them. You can examine all the choices by visiting the Housing website. You will see that housing options fall into three categories: University owned and operated, Alternative housing options, and Off-campus rental housing.

University Housing

Single graduate students may apply for two types of university graduate apartments: the Manville Apartments, which are single studios for law and other graduate students, and the Ida Louise Jackson Graduate House, which consists of shared apartments with single private bedrooms for graduate students. Information and applications are available online. For single student apartment information, call (510) 642-4108 or email

Married and partnered graduate students and graduate students with at least 50 percent custody of one or more children are eligible to apply for apartments in university family student housing. Most of this housing is located in University Village Albany (UVA), which is approximately three miles from campus. UVA is located on 56 acres with almost 1,000 apartments for student families in the small town of Albany, which is known for its excellent schools. Another, much smaller, complex of family housing is called Smyth Fernwald and is located in Berkeley. Waiting lists tend to be long for this popular housing, and you should not wait for notification of admission to apply. (Please note that the application fee of $25 is nonrefundable, regardless of the university’s decision to offer or not offer you admission.) For more information and an application, consult the online Living at Cal Information Guide, or you may call (510) 642-4109 or email Offices for both Family Student Housing Apartment Assignments and Single Student Apartment Assignments are located in the Residential and Student Services Building (RSSB), 2610 Channing Way, Berkeley, CA. 94720-2272.

Alternative Housing

Alternative housing options include rooming houses and apartments offered by the University Students’ Cooperative Association (Co-ops), which also has The Convent (a house solely for graduate and re-entry students) and Hillegass Parker House (housing single graduate students, re-entry students, and visiting scholars), along with International House, and fraternities and sororities. For more information on these options, please consult the Living at Cal website.

Cal Rentals

The university’s Cal Rentals service offers information on all options, both on-campus and off-campus housing, and also provides a rental listing service for a small fee. Resources on the web can help you weigh your housing options and develop an effective house-hunting plan if you’re looking for an off-campus rental. More information, including how to obtain the rental listing services, may be found on the Cal Rentals website. Graduate students can email their housing questions to, or call (510) 642-3642, or stop by the Residential and Student Services Building (RSSB), 2610 Channing Way.

International House

International House unites students and scholars from around the world and across the U.S. in a dynamic residential center dedicated to cross-cultural understanding for a more peaceful world. The historic dome-topped building on Piedmont Avenue at the peak of Bancroft houses nearly 600 students, 60 percent of whom are graduate students, and 40 percent are junior and senior undergrads. Single and double rooms, a flexible meal plan, 24-hour lounges, computer rooms, a library, and historic “Great Hall” are amenities to the site which also boasts culturally themed weekly coffee hours and cross-culturally themed lectures, films, field trips and guest speakers. Rates and virtual tours are available on the I-House website.

The Rafael Rodriguez Golden Age Foreign Student Scholarship. This scholarship provides room and board for an entering graduate international student of great promise who may lack the financial resources to come to UC Berkeley and is deemed likely to benefit from, and contribute to, life at International House. To apply, please complete the fellowship section for international applicants of the graduate application.


Last Updated: August 26, 2008 3:24 PM